How many of us are clutter free? Or is it more likely that we are surrounded by clutter? How did that happen and why do we allow it to happen? And more importantly, how do we declutter.
Clutter stops us from moving ahead. Some of us hide behind the clutter. Some find comfort in it. Some just cannot decide what to get rid of so they end up getting rid of nothing. Whatever the reason, it is time to clear our lives of the ‘stuff’ that we have collected.
The stuff that I am referring to is not just physical things though that usually makes up a huge portion of our clutter.
“Clutter is not just physical stuff. It’s old ideas, toxic relationships and bad habits. Clutter is anything that does not support your better self.” – Eleanor Brownn
Type of Clutter that we may have:
- Physical – the things that we have in our homes, our offices, our cars
- Mental – negative thoughts, limiting beliefs
- Emotional – negative emotions, toxic relationships
- Behavioural – bad habits
- Financial – unpaid bills, uncleared debts, unfixed tax papers, unsorted documents, unwritten wills
- Virtual – old emails, unopened emails, old phone numbers and addresses, etc
What is it that stops us from decluttering?
Here are a few reasons that sound good (sound familiar anyone?)
- Too much stuff so it becomes overwhelming
- Don’t know where to start
- Make a start but give up too soon
- Cannot let go
- Have emotional attachments
- “but it seems such a waste…”
- “well, I may need it one day’
- Cannot decide
- Lack of awareness or in denial – emotional clutter
- Not ready to face the problems – financial clutter
Let’s face it. We keep things. Just in case. That is the most common reason given for the things we have, just in case we need it, just in case it contains important information, just in case someone else needs it. And yet, if we are truly honest about it, that Just in Case moment has never arisen!
In our next posts, we will look into how to start decluttering and the benefits of decluttering.
To find out about coaching services or training to help you declutter emotional, mental and behavioural clutter, go to BillyKueek.com or email office@BillyKueek.com.